Location: Bakersfield, CA
**This is a Part-Time position with a targeted 20-29 hours weekly**
Opportunity to go Full-time available
MEOW co. & Goodcat Veterinary Hospital are dedicated to ending the killing of cats in California’s shelters, and we’re looking for a passionate, committed veterinary technician like you to join us. We offer competitive pay, paid time off, paid holidays, mentorship, work/life balance and our benefits package.
Join our team at Central California’s leading cat hospital and shelter! Help to save lives in our new veterinary hospital where we pride ourselves on offering homeless pets the same top-of-the-line care that animals with the most loving families would have their vets provide. The facility offers general as well as spay/neuter surgeries, dental care, ,and radiology that allow us to provide top-notch care. So follow your dream and put your veterinary experience to work for the animals who need you most.
The Veterinary Technician is responsible for vaccinating, medicating, and providing animal medical care, under the supervision of the staff veterinarian and management.
- Perform vaccinations, examinations, medical rounds, and diagnostics testing as indicated by veterinarians (e.g., fecal and blood draws) for cats and kittens. Report any medical or behavioral concerns to the Practice Manager and follow through with contacting the appropriate veterinarian.
- Schedule and perform medical exams, vaccines appointments, diagnostics, etc., for animals in the foster program.
- Communicate professionally and with a high level of customer service to clients, staff, volunteers, management and other departments regarding all job responsibilities, especially the health of all animals.
- Consistently follow policies and procedures set by Goodcat/MEOW co management and/or the overseeing veterinarian.
- Able to identify at risk situations, and communicate the appropriate veterinarian regarding time sensitive decisions in emergent situations.
- Train and monitor performance of staff and volunteers.
- Maintain records: conduct entry and retrieval of information for multiple systems, medical records, drug log books, etc. Maintain animal records to show current information and current medications, vaccines and intake exams, observations and behavior notes in databases.
- Prepare and fill prescriptions for Center animals under the direction of veterinarians. Administer oral and injectable medications.
- Assist the veterinarians in medical rounds, animal handling, and general treatment.
- Stock supplies and alert the Manager on inventory needs, and maintenance and repair issues.
- Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned, including but not limited to: assisting in general center operations, cleaning, feeding, and husbandry of animals as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A current license as a California State Veterinary Technician; experience with neonatal kittens preferred.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- Ability to work independently, as well as alongside the veterinarian.
- Strong interpersonal skills. A successful person will be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, energetic, will take initiative and act with tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Accurate, clear, concise written and verbal communication skills. Good listening skills.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
- Ability to make sound judgments and work independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Professionally advocate MEOW co.’s position on issues.
- Computer literate; MS Office, Internet.
- Valid driver’s license with access to transportation to travel on organization business is preferred.
- Must be able to routinely lift 40-50 pounds.
- Must be physically able to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Effectively handle all species of animals with a variety of temperaments.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Lifting and handling animals of varying sizes and species, bending, stooping and walking on a daily basis.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at MEOW co. & Goodcat Veterinary Hospital. MEOW co. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.