Location: Bakersfield, CA
**This is a Part-Time position with a targeted 20-29 hours weekly**
MEOW co. & Goodcat Veterinary Hospital are dedicated to ending the killing of cats in California’s shelters, and we’re looking for a passionate, committed veterinarian like you to join us. We offer competitive pay, paid time off, paid holidays, mentorship, work/life balance and our benefits package. And, as a nonprofit, we are a qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Join our team at Central California’s leading cat hospital and shelter! Help to save lives in our new veterinary hospital where we pride ourselves on offering homeless pets the same top-of-the-line care that animals with the most loving families would have their vets provide. The facility offers general as well as spay/neuter surgeries, dental care, ,and radiology that allow us to provide top-notch care. So follow your dream and put your veterinary experience to work for the animals who need you most.
The Small Practice Veterinarian will provide quality medical care for a variety of cats and kittens. Veterinary services are provided to our shelter felines, employee animals, and public cats (i.e. other rescue groups’ animals, and low income family cats).
- Responsible for the examination, diagnosis, and treatment of both cats and kittens, employee animals, and public cats.
- Performing surgeries as required. This includes, but is not limited to, low-to-mid volume spay and neuter, soft tissue surgery and emergency surgery. There is also a great opportunity for orthopedic surgery so interest in this area is a plus.
- Diagnostic procedures include, but are not limited to, interpreting radiographs, ultrasounds, fine-needle aspirates, nasal and tracheal flushes.
- Dentals -procedures might include multiple extractions for dogs/ cats/ pigs, oral nasal fistulas.
- Rotating on-call duties
- Advocate for animals, educate public, MEOW co./Goodcat staff on all aspects of animal health, and ensure a safe and effective clinic environment.
- Educate, mentor and coach veterinary students.
- Collaborate with clinic staff as well department managers as needed on medical cases.
- Promote continuing development of medical care through continued education.
- Delegating duties and responsibilities to technical support staff to ensure proper care and comfort of hospitalized patients.
- Keeping abreast of veterinary concerns and trends in the animal welfare movement.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine (DVM, VMD) or equivalent required.
- Experience with small animals a plus.
- Interest in or experience with other species such as parrots, rabbits, and wildlife are a plus.
- Proficient at spays and neuters of cats
- Interest in shelter medicine.
- Work experience preferred, but new graduates will be considered for the position.
- License in good standing with state veterinary board.
- Must be licensed (or obtain a license) in the state of CA
- License or application in progress for license with Drug Enforcement Agency.
- Flexible work schedule with emergency on-call duties as needed.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Strong communication skills to discuss recommendations and explain treatment options to the animal’s caregiver and to give clear instruction to staff.
- Able to maintain clear communication with internal staff on all levels.
- Proven written and oral presentation skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Interest in continuing veterinary education and exploration of new technologies and treatment modalities.
- Ability to professionally advocate MEOW co. positions on issue.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated good working habits in an environment that requires multitasking and multiple demands on time.
- Valid Driver’s License with access to transportation.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Lifting cats of all sizes, bending, stooping and walking on a daily basis.
- Working at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- When working with animals that are frightened or in pain there is a risk of being bitten or scratched. In addition when working with diseased animals there is a risk of being infected by disease.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at MEOW co. & Goodcat Veterinary Hospital. MEOW co. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.